SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Friday, March 14, 2014

East-West Link Hearing Rookie (Friday)

Where it's all happening

I skived off from work for a couple of hours today because I was keen to see for myself what the Hearing about the East-West Link was all about. But nothing had prepared me for this trial by boredom.
To be fair, as I had come from work, I was late, so was utterly ignorant about the dramatis personae. I could see my fellow protestors at a distance in the audience, but had no one to fill me in on the action - or rather inaction.
As photography is forbidden in the Hearing, I didn't have that to divert me. I wished I could draw so that I could produce pictures like court artists do, where everyone looks like extras from 'Breaking Bad'. But drawing is way beyond me.
To pass the time, I took to calculating how much of the public purse might be being expended on this room full of suits, debating the merits and demerits of a project that should never have seen the light of day in the first place. I ended up nearly cross-eyed with boredom, in awe of my fellow protestors, some of whom endure this experience daily.
Fortunately they briefed me during morning tea break, to which I had been briefed to bring biscuits. Obviously the powers-that-be are on an economy drive and can't run to snacks. On my way to the Ladies, I noticed an ominous presence in the bar:


Not the guest, but the Grand Prix flags

Recently the peace of our days has been disturbed by the roaring of the Formula 1 cars miles away in Albert Park. The citizens, who protested long and hard against the abomination of re-locating the Grand Prix in Albert Park, lost that fight. Spotting the flags, arrogantly displayed in the very place where we are struggling to save our own park from destruction, made me shiver.
Perhaps I should have said I noticed two ominous presences. Everywhere I go these days the police seem to be hanging out, and today was no exception.


Police presence

Four officers were stationed in the lobby of the hotel - after all, who knows what those crazy protestors might do next?
By the time I had to leave the Hearing I had learned who was who. There was Stuart Morris, QC for the Linking Melbourne Authority, trying but failing to box Eric Keys, an expert for the City of Melbourne, into a corner. Another City of Melbourne expert, Jim Higgs, was trying, unconvincingly in my opinion, to make the case that there were creative ways to minimise the impact of the East-West Link on Royal Park.
I was sorry to have to leave in the end and will definitely return next time I have a few spare hours. Fortunately there are a further 21 days of hearings to choose from. Submissions by the Moonee Valley, Yarra, Darebin and Moreland councils, professional, business and community organisations as well as individual citizens will be well worth listening to, I'm sure. So get down to the Mercure and give them your support. In my experience, rookies (especially those bearing cookies), are guaranteed a warm welcome.




5 Comments:

Blogger Rose Iser said...

Hi Sue! Good on you for making time to hear one of the most important public hearings going on. Have you seen our blog: www.eastwestlinkblog.com ? Would you like to post your piece on that blog? Just let me know: roseiser@gmail.com

1:29 AM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Hi Rose,
I would be delighted to have my piece posted on the east-west link blog. Good on you for all your hard work!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done, Rookie Community member of the Public hearings. When i left at the end of the day there were 3 police right outside the building - maybe they got a tip off that it was being targeted by terrorists. I'm so glad we're well protected.

I'm returning Tuesday and Friday next week for more of the same.... might see you then. Cookies were great but don't leave them out for the Fat cats!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Have no fear! I am very clear about who my friends are.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa Saad said...

Very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.
Lisa Saad Photographer

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home