SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cat and Mouse - chasing the elusive East/West Site Drillers & RACV election


First sighting (for me) - the drill with train in background in Clifton Hill

I can't say I actually jumped out of bed to make it to the community protest at the drill site this morning. I probably rolled out, but I did arrive at the corner of Station Street on the north side of Princes street by around 7am. I was shocked to see that there was no one else there, but luckily spotted some likely looking people on bikes, who said that the protest had relocated to a site in Clifton Hill.
I hitched a ride with a some fellow protestors, including Keith, who has lived in his home, which is scheduled for demolition, for 69 years. In his street (below), Trains Not Toll Roads placards adorn nearly every house.


Axe over their heads

Arriving at the Clifton Hill drilling site, we joined up with a substantial group of fellow early risers including a respectable media presence.

Channel 10 cameraman speaking with  community member

The workers agreed immediately to stop drilling and return to their headquarters. And after some time mingling with each other and having our pictures taken by the attendant media, the decision was made to return to our original meeting point. We had been told earlier that there was only one drill, but apparently another had magically materialised, which was about to be put into service in North Carlton.
Unfortunately, I had to exit at that point to be ready for work at 9, but I was left with the distinct impression that not only was a cat and mouse game going on, but to mix my animals, East/West Link personnel were trying hard to outfox us. But tomorrow is another day, with another snap community protest planned for 7am at the North Carlton site. I hope to see you there!

Something else interesting is going on at the moment:
The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV), a staunch ally of the State Government and its East/West Link plans, has an election scheduled for a new Board. Usually only a minority of RACV members bother to take up their option to vote. This time though we are trying to change all that. There are several candidates for Board positions who are opponents of the tunnel and prepared to take up cudgels if they are elected. To see who they are go to -
http://racvscorecard.com/
So if you've binned those ballot papers, unbin them. Imagine how great it will feel to actually have your preferred candidates win an election!

6 Comments:

Blogger Luke C Jackson said...

It's fantastic that you and others are showing up for these events. Looks like the two best candidates are Trent McCarthy and Tom Houlihan. Now I need to try and find that damn ballot paper.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

I know what you mean. It was miraculous to find ours in the bottom of the recycle bin!

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Sue. K and I have not been organised enough to bin ours yet so will set to immediately and pass this on. Good one!!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

That's great, Cathie. Let's hope the RACV is inundated with ballot papers!

4:03 AM  
Blogger Alison L-N said...

My election papers only came today so they won't be returned fishy smelling from the bin!

3:09 AM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Hi Alison,

I know there's nothing in the least fishy about you!

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home