SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Friday, September 20, 2013

JAWS & the East-West Link

Shark Attack!

En route to yesterday morning's regular Friday East-West Link protest, I spotted the object above leaning against a neighbour's fence awaiting rubbish collection. Images of Jaws attacking a young boogie boarder made me shiver, and that was even before I noticed the name on the board. I trust its owner had encountered nothing more scary than some submerged rocks. But with the East-West Link test drilling at 9 sites in the inner suburbs over the last few days, our hapless Vic is under a much more serious threat.
Thinking about this I needed an urgent antidote, so I started photographing some of the local signs opposing the Link. There are now hundreds to choose from. Below is one of my favourites:


Vic's Premier - definitely a shark with poor vision 

Park protest

Bird's eye view

And there was some good news yesterday. The New South Wales Government has refused to bail out Sydney's own cross-city tunnel. It's going broke for the second time since its opening in 2005. The reason for its woes? Apparently the number of projected motorists who would use the toll road was vastly inflated to force through its construction. Sound familiar? Surely, if there is any sanity at all amidst our State government ministers, at this point they must be having second thoughts.
At yesterday's protest we were joined from Brisbane by ex-academic and public transport champion extaordinaire, Robert Dow.


Rail advocate, Robert Dow, of Brisbane's 'Back on Track'

Robert's group Back on Track is large and influential, and has been making waves (or maybe that should be rails) since 2006.  Robert wanted to demonstrate his solidarity with our struggle by his presence, and stressed how important it is that we persist.
Arriving at my early-bird yoga class at the studio adjacent to the Fitzroy Pool this morning, I was greeted by this cheering sight:


Go yoga nuts!

 BTW - I know you're out there, so go on - leave me a message!

4 Comments:

Blogger MR.GRIM said...

Great stuff Mum! Keep up the good fight. I had a similar idea to document them, every street is now adorned, from Westgarth to Carlton :)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Yes, it's very encouraging. Every time I feel despondent I just take a wander up the street, admiring all the signs. Solidarity is a great pick-me-up!

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Robert Dow said...

Nice to meet you last Friday Sue. Thanks for standing up for better rail and better transport for Melbourne.

Best wishes
Robert Dow

9:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

I enjoyed meeting you too, Robert and appreciated you as a Queenslander standing with us Victorians in solidarity.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home