SUE JACKSON Therapist | Writer | Photographer | Activist

An avid blogger for the last fifteen years, I believe in the power of the word to change the world. I have participated in, and reported on, a range of protests during this period, including the successful East-West Link campaign and, more recently, our wonderful, home-grown Extinction Rebellion (XR). If you believe, like I do, that it is time for ordinary people to rise up in defence of the planet, I encourage you to explore this blog, share it with your networks, and – of course – take action.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

#StopAdani Summit - Melbourne

I have been experiencing torture by technology for the last several weeks.

There have been visits from NBN workers and interminable calls to Telstra. And I am writing this post at speed in the hope that I will finish it before I am inexplicably cut off again. Fingers crossed!

Images are also currently compromised as I transfer them to this blog (Although if you click on them they are much clearer full size). Having said all that, I have decided to proceed with this post anyhow as the great event I attended over 2 weeks ago deserves every possible record. And the issue is even more hot today than it was then. I'm referring of course to the battle to stop Adani.

Queensland feels so far away. And the tyranny of distance makes it hard to believe sometimes that Victorians can have any impact on the crucial fight being waged up north. So when I learned that a summit to StopAdani was scheduled at my local Fitzroy Town Hall I grabbed the opportunity to participate, and to record it.

Here are some of the pictures I took on the day of some seasoned campaigners and new recruits:

Fitzroy Town Hall

Prominent anti-Adani warrior Aunty Carol Prior from Queensland

Bruce and Annette Currie, central Queensland farmers who live kilometres from the Adani coal mine. Bruce is standing as an independent in the uncoming Queensland election - if only Victorians could vote.

Jagveer Singh, Hoppers Crossing High School Student, who has catalysed protests against Adani within his school

Sharing experiences in small groups

Rabbi Jonathan Keren-Black (right) a leading inter-faith opponent of Adani










10 Comments:

Blogger MR.GRIM said...

Thanks for the share! 😊 a great cause!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Couldn't agree more. And as today has demonstrated the might of people power in reversing one huge injustice - marriage inequality - so too we will soon ensure that our Reef is protected forever!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Jane Perry said...

Good one, Sue. I really like the photos.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Thank you Jane. The technical problems were a headache for me, but the day was great!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Lindab said...

thanks Sue, how inspiring, all those activists on one room.

10:15 PM  
Blogger MarianFrances said...

Great recording of such an important event Sue! We can’t lose this one!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Thanks Linda and Marian. I agree - the stakes couldn't be higher. And it is always great when we can find a way to make a contribution from so far away from the site of the action.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Sarah Allen said...

Hi Sue, Great post. We are preparing an article from Jagveer Singh and you've captured a great photo of him. Would it be possible to use your photo of Jagveer in our publication, with a credit to you?

5:22 PM  
Blogger Sue Jackson said...

Hi Sarah,
That would be absolutely fine.
I often talk about Jagveer with people, especially some of the young people I met at the Student Strike outside Josh Friedenberg's office a couple of weeks back. He is a great inspiration.
When you have finished the article, could you please send me the link or post it here?

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Sarah Allen said...

Hi Sue, that's great. Thanks so much. Yes, will definitely share the article with you. He is a great inspiration. Please email me at communications@eev.vic.edu.au and I'll send you the PDF when published in late April
Many thank.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home